Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Rain rain go away....

While the weather in Miami is usually pretty stellar, the summer months tend to be a bit on the wet side. To call it a rainy season is an understatement. Especially when you throw in a few tropical storms that bring unrelenting storms (no hurricanes so far this year!).

I honestly do love the storms in Miami though... they're just so fierce that it's quite an experience to sit inside watching the rain and lighting (we seriously have the best lightning... even if it is kind of dangerous) and hearing the wind roar. The downside, however, is that it makes TNR nearly impossible.

I've got a very long list of feral cats that are on my sterilization to do list, but with all the rain I can't set out traps. The storms also come on pretty fast, so it's not always possible to predict when they're going to hit, and as such I don't want to trap a cat and then have it accidentally get caught in a downpour. The campus cats are all primarily active at night (cats are nocturnal), so I normally leave my traps set for a few hours at a time late at night (or in the very early morning). Perfect time for the rain to hit when I least expect it (or am asleep). I haven't given up hope though, and am patiently waiting for a break in the weather to do a massive trapping!!! The kitties may think they're safe from my traps, but it's only a matter of time:)

No comments:

Post a Comment