Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Back in Action

After a brief hiatus, and of course some serious heart break, I'm back in action getting these feral cats sterilized, vaccinated and cared for. This morning, as I spotted another young cat on campus, I sort of realized that the best way I can honor the kittens is to make sure what happened to them doesn't happen again, and that means making sure there aren't unwanted litters. I know I can't do it all, and I'll never get ahead of this problem, but I can definitely make a small impact.

That being said, I contacted the Cat Network and they agreed to come to UM this summer and hold a spay-day event (they were already thinking about doing it too... great minds think alike!). We'll be primarily sterilizing the feral cats on campus, but we will also be opening up the event to the UM community at large, so they can bring their pet and feral cats in for sterilizations and vaccinations as well. The details are still being worked out, but the event will be on Sunday, May 22nd, and I can't wait! I'm also working on getting another spay-day event on campus in July.

I also got the Facilities Department to finalize the feral cat procedure on campus, and get it on the books. There is now a specific protocol for reporting feral cats, and for dealing with them (we have a hotline and everything!!). Now to just work out a few more kinks, and we'll be 100% on our way!!

One more note, for good measure.... being South Florida we have a very severe flea problem during the summer months, and as such we have more than a few cats who are losing all their hair from being so badly infested. Fleas can cause anemia, amongst a host of other problems, so it's imperative that we treat the feral cats as soon as possible before they start getting sick. The catch-22 is that flea medication is very expensive (and we need the kind that comes in pill form - Program & Capstar), so anyone out there who can donate any amount, we would appreciate it more than you could ever know!!! Even $5 helps offset the cost of flea medicine! Or, if you'd like to purchase the flea medication and send it directly to our organization, send me an email and I'll give you the shipping address. Thank you in advance for your help!!!!



"I simply can't resist a cat, particularly a purring one. They are the cleanest, cunningest, and most intelligent things I know, outside of the girl you love, of course."
- Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment