Friday, March 23, 2012

Spring = Kitten Season

While cats breed year round in South Florida because of our warm temperatures, kitten season definitely kicks things up a notch! These are the moments when I curse myself for not trying every crazy thing I could think of to trap some of the ferals on campus and in my neighborhood. Although we don't have any tiny litters right now, I know they're on their way so I'm arming myself with traps, tuna and anything else I can think of to get those few unsterilized kitties into the clinic for their spay/neuter.

I've been fundraising around campus to get the money to sterilize the remaining cats we have to do (I estimate around 15, thanks to a litter that was born over the holiday break). I'm also putting aside part of my paycheck to sterilize the remaining kittens in the litter across the street from me, as well as their elusive mother. Fortunately the Meow Mobile is offering $15 surgeries, thanks to a generous grant from the ASPCA.... it's like a two for one special on sterilizations (which is huge when you have around 20 cats to take care of).

Slowly but surely I'm making my way through the neighborhood and campus cats. If only the cats themselves were a little more helpful by going in my traps when I set them out...!!!

Here are two of the feral kittens on campus that are high priorities:


No comments:

Post a Comment