Friday, March 30, 2012

UM Music Kittens

I feel like I say too much about ear tips, but I also feel like I can't say enough. Of the two kittens I trapped from the Music School (and not including the third one I trapped and released because of it's obvious ear tip), one of the kittens, the female, was already spayed. Problem being she had no ear tip, so there was no way to know without sedating her and prepping her for surgery. An obvious spay scar is what finally gave it away, but had she had the ear tip she wouldn't even be at the clinic in the first place, let alone now needing to recover from the anesthesia.While she was under sedation she did receive the much needed ear tip though, so she shouldn't have to go through this again!!

Sterilized female, now with ear tip!
 The other kitten was a male, only now with slightly less testosterone. The colony at the Music School is getting so large that they've been fighting amongst themselves, so getting them spayed and neutered will help ease the tension. People often comment about how it's more important to trap the females, and I've even heard arguments on occasion that it's not necessary to trap the males if all the females are spayed, and I couldn't disagree more. Unneutered males are much more aggressive, and will roam an average of a 10 mile radius in search of a female... while they may not be impregnating any of the females in your own colony, they most certainly can in another. Neuter and Spay is the Only Way!!!
male kitten, neutered, vaccinated and ear tipped.

No comments:

Post a Comment