Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Year in Numbers

I wanted to recap this years sterilization/foster/adoption efforts with a few statistics of my own. So here we go -

Since beginning my TNR efforts in March 2011 I have:
  • Sterilized 44 cats (pets, fosters and ferals)
  • Fostered 12 cats (2 still in foster care)
  • Adopted out 12 cats (some went to their new homes right off the street - no foster required!)
  • Assisted with the sterilization of approximately 550 cats as a volunteer (based on a conservative 35 on the Meow Mobile and 100 at the free MDAS spay day events)

I think these items are also worth mentioning:
  • I volunteer managing the Pet Point data entry for the Cat Network for granting purposes. 
  • I volunteer as a Vet Tech for the Meow Mobile, assisting with the surgical prep of cats (and some rabbits and dogs...).
  • I volunteer as a Vet Tech for the vaccination clinics (testing and vaccines for foster cats and kittens)
  • I founded the UM Spay Neuter Program on campus, and have now joined efforts with the Pre-Vet Society to teach them the importance of TNR, and even more importantly, how to do it on campus. I have also secured University funding for the sterilizations, and helped create a new Standard Operating Procedure for dealing with feral cats on campus. As a result we now have a detailed database tracking all campus cats as they are reported, which also includes all medical records for each cat.
  • I am a founding member of the South Florida University Cat Coalition, which is a partnership between UM, Miami Dade College, Barry University and St. Thomas University to join our campus cat programs in an effort to educate the student body and share tips. In the future we hope to secure grant funding through this partnership.

1 comment: